The Freeport Public Library (FPL) and SCGS are always looking for Volunteers to work in the History Room. Our FPL History Room has become known as the "GEM" of Stephenson County for research of all kinds including family, business, local history and local architecture just to name a few categories. Volunteering in the History Room is a rewarding experience and a tremendous resource and learning opportunity, especially for those involved in researching their own family histories.
SCGS Members who wish to Volunteer should have a base understanding of genealogy and/or Stephenson County history, enjoy working with people and be willing to donate their time for a 3 to 4 hour spot.
A Volunteer spot could be once per month, every other week, or hopefully on a weekly basis. A Volunteer spot keeps our History Room available for research and what ever time you are able to contribute on a recurring basis will be gratefully appreciated. Training is provided and support is available during Volunteer hours. The Volunteer Team is excellent in its' flexibility to switch with each other when needed to maintain History Room availability.
Stephenson County and the surrounding area has a storied history of dedicated people who give back to the community. The Stephenson County Genealogical Society (SCGS) is all about doing for each other. Here are just a few areas in which you can Volunteer your services, abilities and talents.
- Give assistance at the Freeport Public Library by manning the History Room during
Library hours. Our Volunteers work on a rotating schedule Monday thru
- Help History Room visitors with questions and research.
- Join a Research Team of Volunteers who respond to research requests received thru
the website, mail, or by phone.
- Join an Archive Team of Volunteers who acquire/obtain/maintain the material housed
in the History Room.
- Join a Data Team of Volunteers who type and build the searchable Indexes
- Participate in an SCGS meeting by providing a presentation of something of
genealogical or historical interest.
- Conduct your own research whenever possible.